“A piece of me is in my skin”
It has taken me ages to finally hit the publish button for this post. Reasons: I don’t have the best skin nor am I an expert when comes to skin-related issues; the last time I had a beautiful skin was when I was ten years before puberty creeped in leaving me with breakouts and uneven skin tone. Nevertheless I will literally give you a piece of my skin, share with you some of the beauty tips I have learned on this journey of clearing my hyper-pigmented blemish prone skin.
TIPS: My Five Ds to a beautiful skin
- Ditch your face touching habits: Keep your fingers/ hands off your face- Poking zits and touching your face accelerates the damage.
- Drink lots of water: I personally drink a minimum of two litres of water every single, I mean every single day day.
- Detox: If you have not, please check out my post on this here.
- Diet: Incorporate fruits, fresh leafy greens and good foods in your diet.
- Daily Skin routine: Cleanse and Exfoliate, Tone, Moisturise and Protect. I will emphasise protecting because us women of colour we tend to ignore this and think it does not apply to us. Apply sunscreen and look for SPF containing moisturisers if you can’t find a sunscreen tube. Do not sleep with make up on any day, even on those days when you are so tired to have a stroll to bathroom.
My daily facial routine has four steps: Cleanse, tone, moisturise and protect.
Every morning I cleanse my skin by using a facial wash such as this Neutogena Deep clean facial cleanser that contains a hydroxy acid which penetrates deep into pores, dissolving dirt, oil and make-up. It also removes dead surface skin cells that can dry, roughen and dull your complexion.
Since my skin is prone to breakouts, I exfoliate every other day. I use my old time favourite Neutrogena Oil-Free Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub that contains an uplifting blast of grapefruit that eliminates oil and dirt without overdrying, clearing breakouts and blackheads.
If there is something I can’t do out with is toning, I would rather use my regular shower gel to cleanse my face and tone thereafter than cleanse and moisturise. I believe finding a good toner is paramount and toning is the holy grail. A good toner will balance the skin’s PH, sweep away dead surface skin and smoothen uneven patches. Then penetrate deep into pores to visibly reduce their appearance for clearer looking skin. Currently my skin is loving the Total Effects 7 in one Pore Minimizing Toner
When I had just started working on my face I thought a moisturiser was not important since I have an oily that often shines. But after doing research I figured that I could still use a light weight water based moisturisers such as; Kind to skin hydrating light moisturiser and this Neutrogena hydroboost moisturiser.
Kindly share with me a piece of your skin.
Thanks for stopping by and I wish you a beautiful week.